AMERICUS — Personnel with the Americus Police Department and Americus Fire and Emergency Services were working at 7 p.m. in the area of Columbia and Valley Drive. Charlotte Cotton, city administrator, said that heavy winds had gone through the area and caused trees to fall on houses. "They don't know if it was a tornado or just high winds," Cotton said.
- Local News
- Memorial Day program at 2 p.m. Sunday at Andersonville National Cemetery
- Georgia Commissioner of Agriculture Gary Black was in Americus Wednesday to present a grant in the amount of $7,500 to the Sumter Humane Society for spaying and neutering
- Schley 5th graders learn their rights
- City to issue revenue bonds to refinance loan
The Home Run to be held in Jay Williams’ memory
Jay Williams, of Plains, was an outdoor type of guy, enjoying activities such as running and bicycling. He was also a spiritual man and enjoyed sharing his faith with others. When he died after a falling accident in June 2012, his friends really missed him. Two of those friends, Travis Kelly and Rebecca Ferguson, decided to carry out a race event that Williams had planned, to benefit the Methodist Youth Home in Americus.
- President times two
- Video production
- Volcanic knowledge
- Odyssey of the Mind team heads for World Finals in Michigan
- Health inspections: May 12, 2013
- More Local News Headlines