Area beat: Jan. 11, 2017
Americus Fire & Emergency Services
• Firefighters responded to ten calls for medical assistance.
• Firefighters responded to Armory Drive to a report of an odor. There were no hazards.
• Firefighters responded to a report of the grease fire on Bessie Mays Circle. Upon arrival, the fire had been put out by the occupant. Fire personnel ventilated the structure and advised occupant to turn off power to the stove and range hood and contact landlord.
• Firefighters responded to PharmaCentra, 105 Industrial Blvd., to an alarm. Upon investigation, it was determined to have been activated by dust burning off the heaters.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on Tripp Street.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at TCI Powder Coatings, 300 Martin Marietta Drive. There was a problem with the alarm system.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Americus-Sumter High School, 8-5 Harrold Ave. There was fire but they discovered a leaking drain valve for the sprinkler system and a cracked drain pipe.
• Firefighters responded to Barlow Street to an alarm. There was a problem with the alarm system.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Lowe’s, 1700 E. Lamar St. which had been activated by a pipe that had burst due to low temperatures.
• Firefighters responded to a smoke detector at First Baptist Church, 221 S. Lee St. The detector was found to be faulty.
• Firefighters responded to a report of a gas odor on Lafayette Street. Fire personnel used gas detectors but found no hazards. The gas department arrived on scene.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at South Lee and College streets
Americus Police Department
• Michael A. Abrams, 30, of 120 Ga. Highway 308, Plains is charged with felony first-degree burglary, aggravated assault, simple battery (Family Violence Act), third-degree cruelty to children, and theft by taking, and was jailed.
• Kayla M. Bowens, 21, of 505 Ga. Highway 27 East, Americus is charged with driving while license is suspended or revoked.
• Jamarious T. Bullard of 110 Knollwood Drive, Apt. 7E, Americus is charged with battery and criminal trespass.
• Elizabeth B. Nettum, 56, of 203 Wildwood Circle, Americus is charged with improper stopping on roadway and driving in violation of conditions of a limited permit.
• Charles W. Pennington, 28, of 255-C Memorial Mile Road, Americus is charged with simple battery, and was released on bond.
• Christopher L. Peters, 39, of Tuscumbia is charged with misdemeanor failure to appear in court for finger printable charge, and was jailed.
• Roderick T. Whitehead, 27, of 701-B E. Furlow St., Americus is charged with enticing a child for indecent purposes, and was jailed.
• Trineeisha Smith of 139 Hosanna Circle, Americus is charged with improper backing.